All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Bicycles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 am 

i dont think i really need a front brake tbh. the first few rides running only a rear brake seemed to go OK.

ideally i would like to put a gear shifter back on it because Atlanta is far from flat and i am not hardcore enough to ride fixed gear. i would also ideally update other components like the seat but like i said in the first post, this shit will probably get stolen at some point if i really start riding it often. i am hesitant to put much money into it at this point. its mainly just a fun project right now and i am trying to think of other cheap/free things i can do to it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:32 am 
Core Member

You are probably right. I am used to downhill mountain biking, where the front brake is used a lot. Fixed gear is tough, I don't think I could do it with any regularity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:23 pm 

i still dont quite understand what people on fixed gear bikes do when they are going downhill. put their feet up and let the pedals just spin like crazy or do they just never go down hills?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:08 pm 
Core Member

cipher wrote:
i still dont quite understand what people on fixed gear bikes do when they are going downhill. put their feet up and let the pedals just spin like crazy or do they just never go down hills?

I have seen people do it in downtown Seattle, lots of hills, but it is fucking insane. Like you said, they literally take their feet off of the pedals. Supposedly, some people just keep pedaling, just trying to keep up with the bikes' speed. It is crazy either way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm 

not to mention that a lot of those dudes that ride fixed gear dont run any brakes or just a front brake (since you can skid to stop). i cant imagine hauling ass down a hill and trying to skid stop or use just a front brake. definitely crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:37 pm 

when i was young my bike was the shit.. all the little boys were jealous

¤ÐƒÇ¤™ Sanas: btw, i found out its rather difficult to write on a penis today

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 pm 
Core Member

cipher wrote:
not to mention that a lot of those dudes that ride fixed gear dont run any brakes or just a front brake (since you can skid to stop). i cant imagine hauling ass down a hill and trying to skid stop or use just a front brake. definitely crazy.

When I mountain bike, all I pretty much use is the front brake, because it has more stopping power. You just have to drop your ass off the seat and pretty much dead center over your rear wheel so that you don't flip over. I can't imagine doing that on a road bike, as they aren't really built that way, it would be tough to do it.

I would have to imagine you would wreck your shit all the time riding fixed gear in a hilly city.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:38 pm 
The Boss

fuck i wish it wasnt 200 degrees outside, i want to ride my bike!!

Fuck peace, hoes, and flat tops.